Saturday, August 29, 2020

 For this week's assignment, we had to make a simple box level in Unreal Engine (UE). 

Here are some of steps leading up to the final product: 


First I began by Importing the character model from UE into Maya, this is to help set up scale with your models, since scale is extremely important to set up first.


As you can see by the first and second Image, I made a small 10 cm cube that was scaled properly according to the size of the character.

The Cube was later beveled, and smoothed to make it look nicer for when I import it to UE.


The cube was imported into UE with no materials, so my next step was to create a parent base color material that would serve as a perfect editable base for my other instanced materials. The node base system reminded me a lot of Nuke (a compositing software) which was refreshing.


I took the original Parent material and made instances of it to test out the properties, this would later serve as the base for the materials I used for the final product 


Finally I'm getting closer to the final product. Since it was a box level, I decided to create a small scene for this level that was "boxy", very reminiscent of games like Minecraft or Crossy Road.


I took the original parent material, and made several instances to make a variety of textures and colors.
I was going for a playful pallet, again like colors you would see in Crossy Roads, but the colors were slightly washed out to make it easier on the eyes, inspired by games like Animal Crossing new horizons or Breath of the Wild. I also added some self illuminating blocks to set up for the lighting mood that was set up next.


Finally I edited the lighting to look more like nighttime, I love the feeling of a small  source of bright light in a dark night, so that's what I went along with. The final level had some trees, a truck, a mailbox, a trash can, some lanterns, and a faux building with doors and an inviting warm lit window.


The rest of the images are more angles of the level :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprint #5 Delivery

  Sprint #5 Delivery For this sprint I planned pure QA, I wanted to add as many fixes as possible. Not only did I add blends to the animatio...