Monday, September 28, 2020

Week 05 - Use of Composition

 Week 05 - Use of Composition

     This week I combined all the knowledge I have acquired from this class to create a piece focused on composition. 

I wanted to focus on the Rule of thirds Composition for this piece, but also implement the rule of thirds. I find asymmetry very satisfying, along with purposeful empty spaces in artwork. The asymmetrical, center artwork called out to me at first, but once I saw these underwater shots I knew Immediately what I wanted to do.

I played around with the geometry and lights to get the desired layout. The ships gave me major Disney's Atlantis vibes, and I wanted the buildings to look like an ancient long lost civilization under water. The 

I wanted tell the story of a explorer team finding the long lost city, and have the one lone diver reach back to the ship, in anticipation of sharing the secrets he just witnessed. I also wanted to evoke the feeling of looking into a private moment, and I accomplished that by using the rock to frame the scene. The empty space and darker buildings in the background are purposely done to make the viewer feel like there could be more in the far distance.


Here was the final rendered beauty pass, I kept the background pure white so that its easily keyed out, I also used only simple colors so that I could build on it. I also made sure to test it constantly to make sure it fit the composition.


I played with some other renders to see if I could get creative with them. This was was pretty cool, and could've been used as a triangular filter, but I ended up not using it.


Along with the beauty pass, I ended up rendering and using a toon shader for the lines, the object render for color picking, a normals render, and a occlusion render to toggle the shadows later on.


I brought it into photoshop and painted un top of the base beauty render and this is where it ended up. I wanted to portray 90's anime vibes from it, and I definitely feel like I succeeded. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprint #5 Delivery

  Sprint #5 Delivery For this sprint I planned pure QA, I wanted to add as many fixes as possible. Not only did I add blends to the animatio...