Monday, October 5, 2020

Week 06 - Game Asset Creation 101 Part 2

Game Asset Creation 101 Part 2

 This week we continue with the the box we made last week. For this assignment I will take it into Zbrush to sculpt detail and learn to bake meshes.

My first step was to export the mesh made last week and prep it for Zbrush, I also made sure that the naming convention was done properly to avoid issues later on.


I imported the mesh to Zbrush, and began playing with the tools to get a hang of things.


To make it more realistic, I added dents and wood grains to get a closer look to a real crate, I also smoothed the geo together.


Once I was satisfied with the sculpt, I use the poly paint tool to add some color, I also decimated the geo to get a high and low poly version of the create. From decimation I exported the mesh as a FBX so that it can be brought back into Maya.


In Maya, I used the high poly mesh to practice re surfacing the mesh on live geometry, but I did not use it for the final product as it is better used in organic models.


I made a new low poly model for the crate, this will be used later for baking my maps.


I made sure to properly UV the low poly mesh, unfortunately it had a lot of non manifold geo, which I had to fix before I could unfold it properly.


Once UVd, I exported the low poly mesh as an FBX and brought it into Substance Painter. This was the first step in baking my maps.


I used the high poly crate to bake it into the low poly, that way I can have the look of the high poly, with the geo of the low poly. I also added a fill layer to give it some color. Here is the final product!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprint #5 Delivery

  Sprint #5 Delivery For this sprint I planned pure QA, I wanted to add as many fixes as possible. Not only did I add blends to the animatio...